View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

One thing I like about Schwarzbein is not needing to make special, low-carb breads. She emphasizes the need to eat real, whole foods, and I'm convinced that good breads qualify. Maybe this works better for me, because I have a grain mill and make all our breads from fresh, whole flour. I use no sweetener in pancakes or waffles, and a small amount of honey in my basic bread. I've calculated the carbs and this is how they come out:

1 oz. slice bread: 12.5 g carb (Honey accounts for less than 1 g.), 2.5 g protein
1 4" pancake: 15 g carb, 4 g protein
1 4" waffle: 11 g carb, 3 g protein
Tortilla: 17 g carb, 3.2 g protein
Pita: 16.5 g carb, 3.3 g protein

The carbs in muffins can be reduced significantly just by reducing or eliminating the sugar (subbing stevia.) I'm baking for my whole family, and usually use a little honey; I just don't make them cupcake sweet, which so many muffins seem to be these days. My muffins usually come in at around 23 g each, varying a bit by type. Subbing stevia for the honey would take them down to around 20, or a bit less for some types.

I realize that none of these things are single-digit low, but I find I can fit them into a balanced plan very nicely. Perhaps I run counter to the good doctor a bit here, but no one will ever convince me that bread is "unnatural," unhealthy, or overprocessed by definition. I'm glad to moderate my consumption -- when there's fresh bread in the house on a regular basis there's serious temptation to overdo. (You haven't had pitas until you've had them straight from the oven!) But I love the stuff, and remain convinced that it can be one of the most complete and balanced foods available.

On breakfast in general, cottage cheese was a great find for me. I used to hate the stuff, but find I like it now, and it's got loads of protein. Cottage cheese and berries wrapped in a swedish pancake (like an eggy crepe) has been a favorite treat lately, coming in at 25 g carb.

I also like yogurt smoothies, but need some lower carb ideas, there.

Happy hunting,
Beth