View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

After the first couple weeks, I never really bothered counting green leafy vegetables at all -- just kept the non-veggie stuff at 10g/day and ate as many veggies as I wanted (without gorging myself). The reason for the restriction on veggies is that when you first start LC, you often forget to count all kinds of little hidden carbs -- eggs, splenda, cream, coffee, processed meats, etc. Limiting your veggies gives you a bit of a safety net to keep you under 20g without having to use a food diary or count obsessively.

However, if you're using Fitday and being very strict about counting all your carbs, there is absolutely zero problem with eating, say, 15g worth of veggies per day. And trust me, that's a *lot* of veggies -- about 5 packages of spinach, or half of a 16-oz bag of frozen green beans, or a full broccoli crown, or half a cabbage.... And that's keeping it to induction levels -- you can eat the whole cabbage on OWL! (Lest you think I'm joking, I actually did eat half a cabbage yesterday.)

Of all the carbs to stress out about measuring and counting, veggies are the very lowest on the list . Eat more than 3c if you want, and if you get fat eating broccoli, let me know! And don't worry about the calorie thing just because everyone yaps about the silly 10-12x rule around here. You'll find that there's a lot of superstition, myth, and fad that floats around here -- some real wisdom too, but also a lot of nonsense about stalls, cheat days/refeeds, calories, fat fasts, and so on. People pick up on memes and run with them; one person posts about the fat fast, or about refeeds, and next thing you know, it's everywhere you look. You will drive yourself bonkers if you pay too much attention to all of it, and it won't help you lose weight any faster. The best thing to do is eat fresh, natural food, avoid LC junk and frankenfood, try not to overdo stuff like nuts and dairy, get some exercise, have some patience, and try not to obsess. Simple enough, right ?