View Single Post
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:40

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Never heard of M. Looney, but just the title piques my interest! <g> Will see if I can get it through the library.

Oh, yes! Heidi! The visual images in that story just stayed with me -- the mountains, and grandfather with his beard. And the toasted cheese! LOL I used to *long* for toasted cheese when I was a girl, and my plain ol' grilled American "cheese" sandwiches just seemed so mundane.

As for homeschooling, mercy, it's a lot easier than most people think. Reading, reading, reading, everything from sciences to history to literature. (We've never bothered with grammar and so on -- I figured that if he read plenty of good literature, he'd pick up the basics from that. And who ever has to diagram a sentence or label the parts of speech once they've left school? <g>) Thankfully, Danny learns from reading, so he's like me in that respect.

I was always dreadful at math -- I honestly thought I was too stupid to ever "get it," but when he got to be old enough to start algebra, I gritted my teeth and decided to learn it right along with him. Only to discover that I'm not too dumb to get it after all! I highly recommend the Saxon math books, which are not fun and colorful, but which explain concepts very clearly and concisely and offer lots of drill. I wish to heaven I'd had them as a kid, I wouldn't have failed so miserably at math classes. I pity my poor teachers! LOL

Lene'

Oh, on the topic of LC eating <g>, I am *still* waiting for my GO-Diet book to arrive. Patience isn't my strong suit, and now I'm chafing at the delay. (Why, I don't know, since I have 12 good LC books piled up by the bed already, and can dip into any of them when I need a fix. But this is gonna be a *new* one, see? Books, my perrenial addiction. Forget carbohydrate goodies, just supply me with printed pages and watch me pig out! )