View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:48

Plan: none
Stats: 115/105/102 Female 5'3" fineboned
BF:
Progress:

Zora,

When I've had the problem of falling/thinning hair and nails that easily break, I took the Saw Palmetto and supplemented my protein intake with "100% Whey Protein Vanilla" from Optimum Nutrition www.optimumnutrition.com.

I prefer whey protein because there's no issue of phytic acid preventing absorption of minerals, like there is with soy protein.

I chose vanilla because I can mix it into a lot of different things, but I usually stir it into about 6 oz. of water and drink it down.

Also, there's no yucky taste, like with other protein supplements I've tried.

The company just upped the protein content of the product. Now there's 23 grams of high quality protein in each serving, about have of it is branched-chain amino acids, which are the ones pulled from tissue protein when blood glucose is low.

This stuff also contains Aminogen, which increases the bioavailability of the amino acids.

It has ony 2 grams of carbs, and also comes in chocolate.

I thought I'd tell you about it because the extra protein REALLY made a difference in my hair and nails.

A 2lb. container holds 32 servings. The website wants 19.99 for it, which is exactly what I paid at the local health food store, and saved the $6 s&h charge.

Even though the company's customers are nearly all body builders, you'll see there's a zillion products to support the high-protein/low-carb WOE if you visit the site.

To find this specific product, you'll need to type in "100% Whey Protein" in the search bar; the URL of each page is the same as the home page.

In case anyone's wondering, no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way other than as a customer fond of their very nutritious products.