View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:30

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Default why people cheat

There are probably several reasons why people post about cheating on here. And many many people cheat. For what reasons?

People cheat because this WOE is so different from what we've been eating all our lives. We're used to having starchy and sugary substances, both "good" foods and "junk" foods. Our minds are programmed for habit. When we break that habit, our tendencies are to keep wanting to do whatever the habit is, and fighting that tendency sometimes preoccupies people. (There's probably not one person here who hasn't "cheated" in some way or another on this WOE.) So they decide to cheat or not to cheat. That's their personal decision. But some people maybe need help making that decision. That's when they post, hoping others will make the decision for them. Or, they have already cheated, feel bad about it, and want either to be told "you'll be ok, just get back on plan" or to be told "naughty naughty." These people are really dedicated to this WOE, but are having a tough time with it, for whatever reason. They want to stay on plan, and use posting as a tool to help.

Some people cheat just because they haven't yet made the committment to this WOE. They cheat, and then use it as an excuse for not really following this WOE. These people aren't losing weight, and they're griping about it. Most of these people probably aren't on this board. A few are. We support them and hopefully they will finally realize that the answer to their weight problem is this WOE. These people will cheat on any diet they choose. They want to lose weight, but don't want any effort to do so. No sticking to a good diet and no exercise. These are the people who want to take a magic pill and have the weight disappear overnight. These people want to shift the blame for their lack of weight loss somewhere besides themselves. (It's the cravings, it's the food I have to keep around for other family members, it's the temptations at work, it's the travel I have to do, etc.) And they'll keep doing this until they decide to change their thinking and their actions. It's not these other things. It's them.

As I mentioned, there probably aren't too many people who fall into the second category on this board. If they don't take the effort to really try and lose weight it is doubtful that they would take the effort to belong to something like this. To the few people on this board who do fall into this category, good for you for joining this board. I hope that you will soon come to realize that you can't keep blaming others for your lack of motivation. Please stay on this board, but don't use it to shift blame. Use it to make the decision to finally do what you need to do.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joan