View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:16
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I used to solve this by inviting people to my house, where I could serve up delicious LC meals. It was a bit hard at first as I did not want to let certain people know I was doing LC until after I'd lost a significant amount of weight. (Let's just say it was an in-law issue.) But eventually it is rude not to let people take their turn inviting you, and I had to "come out" as a lowcarber.

I have up to about 45 carbs/day, so what I do when I am invited out is to save up as many as possible, and to explain to my hosts in advance that I only eat starches and desserts in extremely small portions. Because so many people in the UK still think you can only eat meat and cheese on lowcarb, I take pains to point out that there are really no forbidden foods, I can have a small amount of any high-carb food if I really want it. Fortunately, I am one of those lucky people who can have a few chips, or a tiny bit of dessert, without it triggering a desire for more and more.

So far I have not had any problems apart from the curious questions such as, "Can you have fruit? Where do you get your calcium and fiber?" and so forth.

Emily