View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

In light of the high ECC for the wasabi peas ... I opted for toasted soy nuts, to which I added wasabi.

The soy nuts are (per oz) ... 7.3g carbs, 2.9g fiber .. so 4.4g ECC. I double-checked, and the fiber was not pre-subtracted, so the ECC is correct.

I ground one ounce in the food processor, and added a heaped tsp prepared wasabi (from powder) while processing .. this made sure the wasabi got well-mixed in with the crumbs.

I had 3 average-sized sole (flounder) fillets ... dipped in beaten egg, then pressed in the wasabi crumbs on a plate. Sautéed in ½ Tbsp each ghee and canola oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes each side. Sprinkled some minced cilantro on top and served with a salad of julienned daikon, red pepper, green onion ... drsg: tamari, lime jce, canola and sesame oil, dot of stevia.

It was delicious. The wasabi added a nice bite without being overwhelming. The crumbs were good, but "heavy" ... like nuts or cornmeal, definitely not "light" like breadcrumbs or cornstarch.

You definitely want to use thin fillets that cook quickly. Even over medium heat, the soy crumbs tended to burn quickly.

I'll make these crumbs again ... I'm thinking as a topping for broiled scallops and/or shrimp.

Doreen