View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Wow, Debpenny, what a wonderful post. You can get on your soapbox any time.

I have some symptoms of PCOS and have for many years, but I was never diagnosed with it. I feel now is the time to really start taking care of myself and find a good endocrinologist.

I agree with you that "overweight" in and of itself is not unhealthy. One book you might want to read concerning this is Big Fat Lies by Glenn Gaesser, (just ignore all his advice on low fat diets - he thinks they're the only way...). One book I am reading now that is extremely helpful is called "Fed Up!" by Wendy Oliver-Pyatt, M.D.. She discussess the emotional issues of being overweight and her chapter on healthy BMI's is incredible. We do not need to go as low as the "diet industry" recommends to avoid ill-health and disease. The book is worth it for that chapter alone; it really opened up my eyes to this culture's obsession with thinness at all costs.

Last year I lost over 30 pounds by combining two low carb programs, The Schwarzbein Principle and the Insulin Resistance Diet. I gained it back due to emotional issues, and hence going off my eating plan, and I really had to confront the fact that it's just not all diet and excercise...the spirit and emotions matter too and help with the process of gaining good health.

So as of today I'm back on my program. I must say when I went off low-carbing I felt just awful, both phsyical and emotionally and this really led to a downward spiral. I will never let that happen again.

I've been lurking and reading everyone's posts for a very long time, and this is really one of the most intelligent, grounded low-carb websites I've ever been on. Thanks everyone.