View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 08:43

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

While I do drink green tea daily, as my only form of caffeine, I wouldn't recommend its antioxidant properties, especially if you are going to buy flavored stuff with additives and such.

In the studies that are touting control of blood sugar (the ones I have read), etc. they are using the NON caffeinated form in capsules. Drinking enough green tea, especially caffeinated, would undo much of the good work of the antioxidants, since caffeine produces a rise in adrenaline, a stress hormone. Long Life Organic Decaffeinated green tea is a good bet if you REALLY want to drink 7 cups per day. I must say, I keep this on hand because I CAN drink that much and because I like it. Yes, it is an acquired taste for we Westerners, especially to drink it properly with no added sweeteners.

Also, most low carb plans that I know say to limit caffeine because it raises blood sugar, again, undoing the benefits of the antioxidants in green tea.

So, my conclusions are that organic green tea, if you must have caffeine, is the best way to do the least amount of harm. I get great Long Life organic green teas (and other stuff) from vitacost.com. I really like the Jasmine and the one with Gingko. If you're looking for weightloss and BIG antioxidant effects, take a good pharmaceutical grade green tea capsules. Again, vitacost.com carries NSI brand which is the highest quality you can buy, which means you get the expected benefits - THAT's a good value (as opposed to buying cheap stuff that doesn't do anything).

My 5 bucks worth, now back to my cuppa tea...
Jinx