View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 06:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Can't get satisfied with carbs, anyway

I've been thinking about this post for a while; hope you are still reading the boards. Sometimes people post a cry for help and then disappear.

The whole problem with eating high carb is that it's pretty impossible TO feel "satisfied," despite the awareness that one has had "enough." In my case, at least, I now understand that the insulin rushes in, blood sugar startsd dropping, and that's the signal to eat more, not stop, and if I'm lucky I can eat enough to get just a little bit ahead and keep at it until my stomach is groaning. This is not a winning situtation.

Food is NOT helping you cope. Food is making you foggy enough to not care. This is not coping, and it's not effective action. I am amazed at how much more useful to myself I can be now that I'm not fogged every afternoon and every evening. Even if all I do is a crossword puzzle, I am at the very least relaxing cleanly, so I am more fresh the next morning. I have better ideas, too, and I am more able to act on them. Just realized last night that refinancing my mortgage was a solution to some of my financial problems; why did this not occur to me before LC?

Anyway: emotions drive the first bite; insulin drives the rest. Period. I found it helpful to move my binges to LC foods--for me it was cheese and pork rinds. I have since had to let them go because they caused me to stall (too many calories), but I couldn't have done that the first month. Letting go of the carbs was enough of a transition, and a benefit. My head is clear; I can think.

the more I learn about this WOE, the more I discover that virtually ALL of my eating problems are triggered by something physiological rather than emotional. It's fashionable to blame ourselves. It's just not effective. I've made more progress in two months of LC, learning to identify binge trigger foods (who ever would have thought that green peppers could be a problem?!?) than I have in 30 years of therapy, diet books, journaling, all that other head-stuff.

Hope you can make it through the first couple of days, because it really is different over here.