View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-00, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default New book on Biological Rhythms/SAD

Hi, all, I'm back after a weeklong or so holiday - not from LC, just been too busy to spend much time on the board.

I just found a book at the library that draws a connection between high carb and circadian disruptions (The Circadian Prescription, by Sidney Baker). I haven't read it through yet, but it's written by a medical doctor, not that they necessarily know everything, but I suppose that gives it some credibility. He advocates a low-carb WOL for sleep disorders, SAD, jetlag, ADD, and a host of other complaints. The diet he recommends is more like CAD than like Atkins or PP, in that he says we should eat some carbs in the evening, to help our bodies repair themselves overnight, but not during the day, when we should be consuming proteins and fats.

Well, it's interesting, and the first connection I've seen before on diet and SAD, aside from the well-known comment that SAD people often have carb cravings.

I've been feeling a bit SAD this week myself - the rains seem to have set in finally, about two months later than usual, and I'm feeling the effects. I quit taking the ephedra (1/2 dose twice daily) a couple of weeks ago, since I couldn't tell if the energy I was feeling was from the herb or the sun, but today I'm starting again. If I start feeling better, it's probably the herb. It's all experiments!

How are you doing, Doreen? And where's that wonderful signature pic of you?

Rachel