View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Done it AND wrote to them. I seem to be on a roll today for writing to people and having a moan about their misrepresentation.

To admin~myvoice.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Dear My Voice.

Your Atkins Poll quotes some fairly misleading information I'm afraid.

Devised by diet guru Dr Robert Atkins, this eating plan has taken the nation, and world, by storm. Atkins recommends eating a diet high in proteins and fats and no carbohydrates.

This is wrong I'm afraid. He didn't advocate NO carbs, he advocated a 14 day trial of below 20g a day. That's still an awful lot of vegetables and that is compulsory. The myth that we aren't allowed to eat any veggies at all is a very old and tired one. I personally eat a far more varied and healthy selection of veggies, DUE to this eating plan, not despite it.

Many doctors are highly critical of this over-reliance on proteins and fats recommending, instead, a balanced diet of all the main food groups. Followers of this eating regime are supposed to eat less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day (roughly 1 bread roll/bun or less than half an average sized potato).

This also is innaccurate. We are supposed to eat no MORE than 20g a day but only for the first 14 days.

Celebrity followers of this diet include Geri Halliwell, Demi Moore and Jennifer Aniston.

Nope, sorry. Demi follows a raw foods diet in which nothing is cooked and Jennifer is on The Zone. Quite a bit different.

Thought you might like to know, as this kind of misinformation really does anger people who follow the Atkins' eating plan.

I will be happy to supply more information if you wish. From someone who has been fat all her life and on a low fat diet all her life, this plan is literally a life saver. Why make other people frightened of it?

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

Lisa J Feinson