#8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

Just to correct a few misperceptions:
The study which found the Atkins Diet to be calcium-deficient (among other vitamins/minerals) used a sample daily menu from Dr. Atkins book New Diet Revolution. So they did read the book. Obviously, there are workarounds and different foods one can eat to ensure proper amounts of nutrients, but I would wager that most in this forum are more savvy in that regard than the average person who simply picks up the book and uses a sample menu and doesn't monitor nutrient intake. I don't perceive the study as saying "this bad, this good" as simply saying "if you do this plan, you may want to pay attention to these nutrients to ensure you're getting enough".

Green leafy vegetables contain oxalic acid, which hinders calcium absorption. I am not aware that carbohydrates hinders alcohol absorption - are you referring to carbohydrates or to table sugar? BTW, fat *will* hinder calcium absorption. This doesn't mean that you can't do low-carb, it just means that a calcium supplement (or ensuring that you exceed the RDA) is a good idea.

I really don't know why anyone would take these articles so personally or get so worked up over them...