Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
....was there more info indicating whether the patient had "low" or "normal" insulin levels before going into this therapeutic test of administering insulin?
Judi,

What I pasted above is the entire article, from thriveonline.com. So, there is no more to the "thread" - at least not yet.

I am not an AIDS expert!! But I do know that protease inhibitors, which are commonly used anti-retroviral drugs used in HIV/AIDS do lead to (a) lipodystrophy, which refers to the abnormal fat "wasting" that occurs, ie, skeletal fat wastes away, while abnormal deposits of visceral fat develops. (b) hyperglycemia - high blood sugar and (c) insulin resistance. Muscle wasting is partly due to the disease itself, as well as to poor nourishment (no appetite). Anobolic steroids such as rHGH - growth hormone - and testosterone are used, with fair result to increase muscle tissue. Growth hormone has some properties similar to insulin. Unfortunately, the original study done by Dr. Kabadi is available only for a fee.

I sincerely hope more study is done in this area to benefit AIDS and other wasting diseases. For those of us who do not have a problem with wasting, but who have signs of insulin resistance, it serves to reinforce the concept of using a lowcarb diet to keep our levels of insulin low and even, without big surges.

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 22-12-00 at 23:14]