Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 288/280/188 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Feeling symptoms of low blood sugar after starting low carbing

Hi,

I have a lot of diabetes type 2 that runs in my family so I have kept track of my sugar fairly closely for years, (once a month anyway). Have been to the Dr. once in a while to check but have no insurance so mostly use a Glucometer Elite. My sugar has always been fine. However, after 5 weeks on LC, the last few days have had symptoms of low blood sugar. I am out of test strips & hate to buy them since I only need to check every so often & have to buy at least 50. They usually get outdated before they get used & are expensive.
Anyway, I got feeling dizzy, lightheaded, weak, & vision seemed odd, in the afternoon after having around 7 to 10g of carbs, I ate some more LC things & feelings did not change. Then I decided to try some fruit. All symptoms went away.
Can eating too few carbs cause this to happen? Dr. Atkins says it can lower blood sugar for diabetics, so can it also lower it for people that are not? I am concerened that I may be creating a sugar problem by not eating enough, when I had no problem to start with. I will break down & get some test strips if this continues so I can check. Just seems odd that I would suddenly start having these symptoms. And yes I have been following everything very closely, (lots of water, vitamins, including plenty of potassium, have been staying in ketosis, & have had at least 20g of carbs a day). I am very overweight & I know that alone can cause blood sugar problems, but seems too quincidental that it started after LCing for 5 weeks.
I know I should have got the strips & checked before writing this & just assuming, but when eating the carbs seemed to fix it sure seems like the problem.
Any input would be appreciated! Thank you all for being there. This forum is great!

Bratina