#7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 02:08

Plan: The zone
Stats: 149/127/120 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Hashimoto and diet

Hi mokia102, teeneelove and pattip,

I was diagnosed Hashimoto thyroiditis about ten years ago. I went to an endocrinologist because I was gaining weight without eating that much, and she put me on a low fat/low calorie (1000 cal/day) diet. I was 19 years old by then. With that diet I lost about 30lb in two years, but after those two years I started to gain weight (still following the 1000 cal diet and doing exercise every day). So, after two years my doctor decided to test my thyroid hormones!!! And we found out that I had thyroid antibodys, my own body was attacking the thyroid gland. The Hashimoto thyroiditis is an autoimmune desease and it is not known why our own body reacts against the thyroid. If someone has an autoimmune disease there is always a risk to have other autoimmune deseases. So far it is not my case, but it is important we are controlled regularly.

After the dyagnosis I was given L-thyroxine, and since I was used to eat very little, I lost a lot of weight in a short time. But now everything is OK, I am still on L-thyroxine, and if I eat more than I shoud I gain weight, if I eat less I lose. Almost one year ago I started to low carb, and I plan to low carbing for the rest of my life.

Hope you find this information useful.

mj