View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think Dr. S. was more "down on salt" in SPI, which is the book her cookbook is based on. However, in SPII, she recommends a lower salt diet for those with medical conditions such as heart failure, kidney failure and high blood pressure. She also mentions people with insulin resistance or BOAG may retain fluids so restricting salt my help with bloating and ankle swelling. I'm not sure I agree with her limiting salt for BOAGs. Salt's not the culprit, it's the balance of electrolytes.

Dr. Wilson's book Adrenal Fatigue specifically targets low sodium as a symptom of adrenal fatigue. So his prescription is for a high salt intake since most with adrenal fatigue have low blood pressure, NOT high blood pressure.

Dr. Wilson recommends a salt preparation of half sea salt and kelp , salting to taste. As your adrenals get better, your craving for salt subsides. He also says that adrenal fatigue is worsened by foods high in potassium due to the low levels of sodium. He recommends people who eat fruit, eat it with salt to balance the electrolytes. As well, water should be salted with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to every glass of drinking water in order to balance out the sodium:water ratio. He states that many of his patients are able to assess their level of adrenal function by their desire for salt.

I kind of concluded that it seems as if those with BOAG should salt to taste and those with insulin resistance should limit salt. BOAGs with high blood pressure or insulin resistance should also limit salt.

Hope this helped and didn't confuse toooooo much!

Wanda