View Single Post
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 06:29
Canuck Conundrum

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Okay folks.....I guess the "water" discussion with the Curves lady got me going more than I thought...lol.

I'm going to post here a lengthy diatribe that I sent to another member a long time ago. It's affectionately known now as Sam's water lecture. Some of you will have endured it before, if so, please go on with your day...lol.

Just a note for those of you that may be confused by the numbers. I lost 85 lbs. low fatting....which of course resulted in a quick regain, at which time I started low carbing and got back down to my lowest....and am STAYING there. That's to explain the 3 years ago thing to those that know I only hit goal a few weeks ago.

I think that with a fitness challenge, and hydration during exercise, that water is critical....so I want to share this with all of you, because it was soooo important to me.

Three years ago I went from 265 lbs. to 180 lbs. in 13 months. People of course asked me how I did it. My short answer is always walking, watching what went in my mouth, and WATER.

When I started my quest, I was medicated for arthritis, suffered terribly with bowel problems, bad skin, headaches, bursitis, bone spurs, the list goes on.

I joined a support group for women trying to lose 100# or more...and on that site I read a lot of info, as well as a formula for water intake. I wanted to to anything that I could to help myself along, specially the relatively easy stuff. So water was one I could handle.

During my reading and research and relentless quest to feel better, I read some University studies regarding water and the human body. We all learned in school that the human body is made up of mostly water. I thought why is is that something that is so simple is something that we ignore. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but it stated that somewhere around 70% of people in North American were chronically dehydrated, and that a HUGE percentage of the diagnosed cases of arthritis and other joint problems, all those mysterious and undiagnosed back problems and so on, were actually dehydration.

Think about it....joints are cushioned by the bursa, which is basically a sac of fluid. If you don't have enough intake, your body will rob these sacs, because there are parts that need it more.....like your digestive system...which CAN NOT function without fluid. Hence the problems with the joints. And the explaination of why digestive systems don't always work as they should.

Anyway....short story is that this all made sense to me, even on the most basic level. Our bodies are fuelled by food, but need water for the mechanics. So I drank my water, exercised the only way I knew I could keep up, and watched my food.

The weight came off, but that wasn't the only benefit. After three months I tossed out the meds for arthritis. My other body functions started working normally for the first time since I was a child. My skin got 100% better, my other aches and pains went away etc. etc.

Now realistically, I know that my poor joints felt better as they were carrying less weight, and the exercise also helped, but even my doctor agreed that the water had a great deal to do with it.

Soooooo, in answer to your question....yes, I think that it's possible that a lot of what you are feeling may in fact have something to do with dehydration. What I do know for a fact is that it sure can't hurt to focus on getting that water in you and seeing if it makes a difference. It sure changed my life.

I will also say that just passing this on has helped me focus too. I KNOW how important it is and I have let it slide somewhat myself, so I'm going to do for myself what I know I need to.

People risk their health taking meds to combat aches, pains, arthritis, digestion problems......so what is the risk in drinking lots of water to see if it works instead? I know it worked for me.

Imagine the poor woman I sent this to...who had simply asked me if i thought she was feeling poorly because she wasn't drinking enough water.....

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Sam