Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth
......It was the surgeon who told me 30 grams per day fiber AFTER being inside my unhappy colon. They KNEW I was on Atkins too. They wrote 30 grams fiber per day on my discharge papers from the hospital. This varying of basic data is a real problem.....

.......I will continue to work on the balance "for me". I can tell you that 15 grams of fiber for "me" is not enough. My colon laughs at 15 grams

I need more.
hi Jake,

Actually, your message is a good reminder that I should've stated in my rant above that it's directed at the Generic Low-Carber who's not under medical supervision as you are. Of course one should strive to follow drs' orders as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~

re - FLAX .. just so folks know, if you use Fitday to keep track .. there's 2 different entries for flax seeds, and one is lower fiber than the other, thus resulting in a higher net digestible carb count. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but the higher fiber (lower net carb) one jives with the calculations from the Canadian Flax Council website, so that's the one I go with. The entries are as follows:
Seeds, flax seed: 1 cup .. total carbs 53.09g, fiber 43.24g (9.85g net or ECC)

Flax seed: 1 cup .. total carbs 53.94g, fiber 24.51g (29.43g net or ECC)
Using the lower net carb value, ¼ cup flax seeds (= 4 Tbsp) would only contribute 2.46g net carbs to your daily menu, and would provide 10.8g fiber ... so you'd certainly be able to increase beyond 2 Tbsp per day if and when you feel that would be helpful.

LadyBelle is right .. if you eat more veggies, and cut back on the animal carbs (processed meats, shellfish, dairy, eggs), sweeteners etc (if you use those) and emphasized high-fiber veggies and flax, you could come up with 25 - 30g fiber daily without relying on pills or going over 20g net carbs per day.

California avocadoes are quite high in fiber, low in net carbs. Asparagus, spinach, chard, kale, mushrooms are all great carb and fiber bargains. If you can find it in your area, unsweetened soy milk is a good substitute for dairy cream to use on your flax cereal. West Soy and Natura unsw. soy milks are 4g total carbs, 3g fiber ... so only 1g net carbs per cup. These foods are all permitted on Induction (ok, the soy milk is an assumption, since Atkins products made with soy are permitted on Induction ).

hth,

Doreen