View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:56

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Pcos

Another symptom of insulin resistance is weight-gain. I've had PCOS my whole post-puberty life (I was probably insulin resistant before puberty), but I was only diagnosed about 8 years ago. Through the years, doctors always told me that all I had to do was lose weight and I'd be fine. I would lose weight and nothing would be fine. I'd just feel worse and worse. When I was finally diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor told me that my weight-gain was a symptom of the condition. Talk about liberating!

Since finding out about PCOS on the Internet and reading the TSP books, I have cured my PCOS (10 regular periods and counting) and my weight is controlled (in my opinion) and may eventually reduce to what most people consider normal. I am pretty sure I am now insulin sensitive (at least 90%) but I haven't had it tested to make sure.

I have read some articles recently that have "confirmed" my opinion that over-weight is not the death toll that the media, medical community, and government want us to believe. The real health issue is insulin resistance caused by over-consumption of carbs. Carbs aren't bad in and of themselves, but over-consumption of them is deadly.

I look at it this way: The symptoms of Insulin Resistance include, but are not limited to, diabetes, PCOS, weight-gain, heart disease, candida, cancer, asthma, allergies. In other words, all the major killers and other syndromes/conditions/ailments that are not related to viruses. I think also that over-consumption of carbs also reduces our immune defences. I don't get sick nearly as much as I used to.

Losing weight is not what cured my PCOS. Balancing my insulin and hence other hormones through low-carbing is what has cured my PCOS.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now...

;-Deb