View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 16:11

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default WOW got to put in my 2 cents!!!

I have actually read her book, Fat!So? and it was funny, enlightening and a good read. I HATE people that get in your business because they think they "know" fat is bad and they are only getting on your case "for health reasons" PULLLEZZZZZ! Its just another way to disguise fat BIGOTS! Has anyone checked out my GOAL weight? 250. Yup thats right.
There are lots of women in this forum that would rather jump off a cliff than ever weigh 250 in the first place. Now I will still be considered FAT,
UNHEALTHY, UNATTRACTIVE and society will STILL not let me fit in but I say mind your own damn business! I started out at 500 pounds, my biggest I have ever been. My lowest weight? Around 190 as an adult and the struggle I had to stay there was horrible. The healthiest I ever was, great blood sugar levels, blood pressure, active and healthy was at 250.
My mom who was larger but not nearly as large as me died of breast cancer. Well let me tell you after 6 years of taking her to the doctor I
saw plenty of skinny people that were sickly also. I have a cousin who is
125 pounds soaking wet and he has a lovely case of raging diabetes.

While folks, I am not saying its healthy to be 500 pounds and I am indeed very happy with the low carb lifestyle and moderate exercise and slowly working to my goal. Its not for looks, my husband likes what he sees at any size, my kids accept me at any size and I am not a weirdo that stares in the mirror and has honestly never hated myself as some people do. I am doing it strictly for health reasons. I'm type 2 diabetic and the low carb eating and exercise do wonders for me and the weight goal.

I defend the website and her book in the fact that its not anyones place to open thier yaps and SAVE THE WHALES ok??? I had a lady in the store the other day who barely knows me corner me in the book section and tell me all about Atkins because she was so concerned. What a crock of s--t! I told her I am already on Atkins thank you, I appreciated her huge intrest in me and I hoped my weight had not been keeping her up at night. Then politly pointed out another fat person and told her to
"go save that one"
Fat people are not stupid, they know they are fat, I'm sure we are all aware of the risks and dangers, illness etc. and get harped on constantly by the media, happy helpers on the street, the occasional
rude shout or comment and our doctors. Its something you deal with every single day in and day out.
I was lucky enough to be raised with parents and brothers that loved me unconditional. There used to be a commercial on TV for the handicapped at the end the gentleman said "If someone says you don't fit in, tell them to build a bigger door" how true.
Its a politically correct world out there and you can't make fun of homosexuals (please no comments, my bestfriend of 16 years is gay, my little brother was gay) ethnic jokes, handicap jokes and everything is white washed clean and friendly in the media but the last vestige of
humans to act like nasty children is to lash out, or pretend to "worry"
about those poor fat people.
I'm proud of my weight dropping off, of feeling better, of my fantastic blood pressure and slashing my lipid levels in half but I do it for me and not anyone else.
If someone gets to that point in their lives they feel they are ready to do it and are able gather the backbone it takes for a super sized person to take charge of thier health then God Bless them and God speed!
I give them the biggest thumbs up and pat on the back. For the ones that haven't sunk to such a health crisis or low that they do get low carbing then so be it. Love them, let them find thier way, if its a loved one or friend do NOT preach or scowl while they eat that pizza. Maybe
"forget" your copy of Atkins on the coffee table and leave it there.
You would have to live in a cave not to have heard of the benefits of low carbing. Let them be, I think the book is intresting enough for anyone to pick up out of curiosity and hard to put down once you start.
Teach by example, not opening your yap and helping someone to put up a wall. Prepare the meals in your house, low carb! Invite that friend over and cook them a delicious low carb meal. SHOW them, it works. My husband who is very slender and fit found out he had high cholesterol etc and didn't want to go on meds. Well I didn't say a word, I just kept cooking low carb and he started requesting low carb lunches for work etc. and he likes it. Its done him wonders and I didn't say anything, left my Atkins in the bathroom and he started reading and couldn't put it down! My bestfriend just watches me when we go out to eat and I again don't say anything about it unless he brings it up and by example he is trying to low carb.
If those things don't work? Well my grandma always told me "it will all come out in the wash" meaning don't stress it, things happen as they happen.
To sum up all of this I think the idea behind Fat!So? is to love yourself
no matter what and DO NOT let others push you down so they can lift themselves up. With eating disorders at an alarming rate among teens
I think this message is healthy no matter what your size.
I'll still be considered fat at 250 when I reach my goal but I can assure you I will be be quite mega healthy:-)
Oh and one more thing, this goal was discussed with my wonderful Doctor who told me "250 might not be right for other people but it will be right for you" :-)

*climbing off my soapbox* take my ramblings any which way. Tell your kids life would be boring if we all looked alike, love yourself no matter what and YES be of good health and happy low carbing.

Nibby