View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

So, are you saying that god breaks his own laws capriciously? Do as I say, not as I do? Doesn't that call all "divine" laws into question? Is such an immoral deity worthy of anything but scorn? Ambrose Bierce once defined “prayer” as “a request that the laws of the physical universe be temporarily annulled on behalf of the petitioner, admittedly unworthy.”

One cannot allow religious myths to be tested scientifically if one is unwilling to accept a negative result. Such a challenge to religious authority either ends with damage to the scientist (Galileo, for example) or to the religion (your own denial of the literal truth of scripture, for example, a stance for which the dozens of Southern Baptists I work with would deny you any standing at all in the Xian community).

Physics is completely at odds with religion - according to physics, the earth is NOT the center of creation, it is not flat, it has no corners, atoms can be destroyed, and god's hand was unnecessary at creation, lightning is electriclty (not god's punishment), rainbows are caused by the refraction of light, the Grand Canyon was NOT caused by the Great Flood...

Physics has completely displaced the religious superstitions as an explanation for existence.