View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Blood thinners with low-carbing?

Hi.

I'm new to low carbing. I've been doing it about a week. On Friday I had my protime checked and it was low(this is a test that tells you how thin your blood is-i am very prone to clotting so am on blood thinners to prevent the clots). Today I found a list of foods to limit if on a blood thinner because of their high amount of vitamin k(which helps the blood to clot). Every low-carb vegetable that I can actually eat is on that list. It says to limit them to one serving a day-a half cup. I have 2-3 cups a day which is 4-6 servings.

Does anyone else here take blood thinners while low-carbing? How much are you taking now please? What sort of vegetables are you eating? Do you have any advice for me? I'm a bit concerned about this because I've had two pulmonary emboli in the past(blood clots in my lungs) and they are life threatening. I do NOT want to step away from this way of life. I am already beginning to feel better in other ways. This information though just has me worried because I don't think the doctor who prescribes my coumadin is an advocate of low carb.

Any help/advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Namaste,
Carla

p.s.
The link to the list of foods with vitamin k to limit is
http://um-jmh.org/HealthLibrary/meds/Vitamin_K.html
Sponsored Links