View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/172.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just got back from a trip to London and Paris -- 11 days was just too short! But found that Paris was a breeze for low-carb and I lost weight with all the walking and careful eating choices. Head yourself to a Monoprix (48 locations all over Paris) and their basement food floor where you will find the best prices. Cheese in France is exquisite and there's many brands of dry salami and pate in one-serving sealed portions. Carbohydrates are labelled "glucides" on food packaging.

Buy some sparkling water and you will be set for picnic lunch in any Paris park or while dangling your feet in the fountain at the Louvre. It's been very warm in Paris last week so fountain dabbling was a necessity.

For dinner, I ordered a salad to start (such fresh greens and glorious vinagrettes) and steak is on the menu everywhere. Ask for haricot verts or any other low-carb veg and you will be set. Hold the frites and baguette.

If breakfast poses an issue and you just can't stomach meat and cheese at that time of day, then the French make a lovely omelette and that's what I enjoyed a couple of times. Most cafes/bistros will have an omelette on the menu for about 7 Euros. And if all else fails, fear not, McDonalds seems to be everywhere so if you discard the bun, you have all the usual items available to you that you know from North America.

I just found the range of interesting cheeses made my low-carb picnic strategy so much more fun.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful city....nurse a Pelligrino water at a sidewalk cafe and do take advantage of the fabulous sales in July.

VeeDub Girl