View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:50

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile where do I begin?

Hey Tish, not to get all "woe is me" but let me tell you something. The last three years of my life have been, um, interesting. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Hysterectomy. Big fun. The next year I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. More fun. Half way through that year it was hypertension, low thyroid, and gallstones. My choleseterol and triglycerides were through the roof. My doctor and I tried several approaches to find a solution. I tried to eat the way they told me to at the diabetes clinic. Really bad. My triglycerides went even higher and my endocrinologist put me on metformin because my sugars were all over the road. Then I tried vegetarian. My cholesterol came down a little but my triglycerides and LDL were high. HDL was in the toilet. I could see my doctor already arranging a bed for me in the cardiac care unit. On top of this my gallstones were developing a life of their own until finally, early this year(after a year and a half of eating "properly" mind) I had an attack of pancreatitis which was brought on by gallstones lodging in the bile duct of my gall bladder causing the duct to swell and send bile where it had no business being. These gallstones came into being during this period of eating "well". I was in the hospital for 10 days. The swelling in my pancreas finally subsided and I left the hospital to be told I had to go back in the very next week to have my gall bladder removed. The gallstones were annoying my pancreas and since you can live without your gallbladder and you can't live without your pancreas the choice was something of a no-brainer. I know it's too late to make a long story short but let me say this. Everybody in the medical profession (the backward thinking ones) will tell you that the cure for all your ills is a low-fat diet. I didn't have gallstones before I started watching what I ate. My surgeon told me he'd never seen a gallbladder with so many stones in it. Something of a record, I gather. Anyway my own doctor is totally on board with me eating the low carb way. Her father has diabetes and she has him on the program. I don't have to take my metformin anymore. My blood pressure is normal (most of the time). I was low carbing on my own before re-discovering Atkins. I would have to say don't worry. Most people are dim. They hear someone say they eat low carb and immediately assume you'll be sitting at the dinner table with a pound of butter and a spoon. If you want the opinion of someone who's been through the medical wringer the last few years I would say don't worry. Eat a well-balanced low carb diet with natural fats in normal proportions. Vegetables and some fruit. You can't go wrong. If your doctor is an old granny then don't tell him/her or find another doctor (not easy, I know). I'll shut up now. Take care. Hope1