View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress:

It has been a while since I read the book. I gave it to a friend who has yet to read it.

I don't want to misrepresent it at all, so I will give just a quick overview.

Dr. Schwarzbein believes that the ADA diet is killing diabetics. That isn't what the whole book is about, of course. She speaks out against the AMA and the FDA "food pyramid". The book is geared toward women, but the principles are applicable to men as well. She discusses the "low-serotonin state" and the problems associated with it: depression, addiction, obesity.

She does not recommend ketosis except in extreme cases (certain hormonal disorders; e.g. polycystic ovary syndrome), but does recommend a drastic reduction in carbohydrate consumption, especially refined carbs and simple sugars. She recommends increased fat and protein (your body needs these to manufacture neurotransmitters and hormones). She warns against consumption of damaged fats (processed or cooked at high temps).

It is very similar to Atkins and Protein Power, but for the ketosis issue.

Diet: Lots of lean meat, fish, eggs, green leafy and other non-starchy veggies, fruit in moderation, grains in moderation (and always unrefined), nuts and seeds.

I will snag the book back from my friend this weekend and write a better summary for you soon!