View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 09:57

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile I'm type two too

Hey Tish, welcome to the most helpful place a low carber can ever find. I haven't been around here a long time, but I want you to know you'll always find help, advice and support when you log on. I've been a type two diabetic (or as I prefer, a person with diabetes) for a couple of years now. Tons of fun isn't it? Anyway, I think you've made the right decision. I'm not a doctor, but my doctor supports me in this choice I've made. Her father has diabetes and she's kept him low carb for years. Like you, I would never mention this to my diabetes clinic. They'd hit the roof but the eating plan they laid out for me was leading me toward sugars I couldn't control and metformin every day for the rest of my life. The "new" way of thinking about diabetes is going to lead a lot of people into the horror of complications. The old way made a lot more sense. Watch the carbs and don't eat sugar. That's what your doctor would have said twenty years ago. Anyway, sorry about the rant. I'll just tell you that following Atkins I'm losing weight for the first time in years. Also I'm not as ravenous all day and I don't have to take my diabetes meds anymore. As to the ketosis, when your book arrives you'll find that ketosis (the process of lipolysis which instigates the burning of fat for fuel in the body) is completely different from ketoacidosis (a condition which can affect type one diabetics and is very serious). Of course, if you have kidney damage you shouldn't low carb in the first place, but if you're healthy (mostly) benign ketosis won't harm you. Remember to drink, drink, drink, water to flush the ketones out of your system and watch the inches melt away. Good luck and welcome again. Talk to you later, Hope1