View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:15

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default non-refigerated snacks

Good ideas - actually you might not have to rule out cheese - hard cheeses in well sealed packages might be ok. Unless the weather is really abominably hot, hard cheese will be fine for a few days. It might turn sort of an orange color and develop an oily surface, but it will not be unwholesome. How about Spam? everybody in the UK likes spam, right? Here in the US we can get it in cans (tins, to you, I guess) about half the size of the regular, which is nice for packing. Back to the cheese theme for a moment, you can also get those cheese spreads in tubes or aerosol cans, which keep forever. Carry along a daikon radish, which also keeps well - slice off 1/4" rounds, and use instead of crackers. Put on the aforementioned cheese or cheese spread, or some of that canned pate if you like it, or spam, or deviled ham - don't know if you can get the old classic underwood deviled ham there. Only problem I have with some of these snacks, like the kippers and deviled ham is that they are quite salty. Is that bad? I don't really know - they used to tell us to take salt tablets to replace the stuff we sweated out in hot weather. OTH, it might make you thirsty, and hence have to drink/carry/look for, more water. LOL Bill