View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:27
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

One thing I find sad in this article is that Marilyn Wann probably has a problem metabolizing carbohydrates and has no clue that may be the source of her fat. The pictures didn't come through when I cut and pasted the article, but it was clear in the pictures that she is carrying much of her fat around the middle -- a sign of Syndrome X and potentially pre-diabetes. She sees the fat as hereditary -- undoubtedly it is and her mother had the same problem. In the article, she is quoted as talking about the importance of healthy eating, but she seems to see healthy eating in terms of the lowfat/vegetarian paradigm.

Until a year ago, when I read an article in the New York Times about low carb eating, I also thought that my fat was simply genetic and I could do nothing about it so I may as well accept it. I was eating relatively healthfully from a lowfat perspective (lots of fruit, vegetables, bread, pasta, rice, etc.), and exercising, but I kept gaining weight and didn't understand why. Now that I understand why I couldn't control my weight, I am much happier losing it than accepting it.