View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:37

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Unhappy My Hospital Experience Low Carbing

I spent last week in the hospital with a severe viral infection, temps of 103, IVs, ice packs, dehydration etc.
Was put in Monday and by Tuesday evening after giving anti nausea drugs I was actually hungery and could eat.
They sent the dietician in because Im FAT and DIABETIC so that of course equals IDIOT to the medical establishment!
I told her I was on my own modified Atkins, YES I ate vegtables and fruit every day because she was under the impression that if you were on Atkins you only ate meat and fats???!! I told her I eat more vegtables and fruit now than before on "regular" eating plans.
That I walk now, that I went from 500 to 435 since starting. Everything just fell on deaf ears.
I got my first meal.......boiled carrots, boiled fish and a fruit cup. NO salt or butter, nothing just a packet of Mrs. Dash. It was gross but when you are feeling desperatly hungery that even tastes ok. Breakfast?
Oatmeal, English muffin and full sugar jam...........next meal? Chocolate cake, full sugar jello, pork chop and potatos.....well are you seeing the pattern here? I'm diabetic so they give me high sugar items, no salt or butter, lots of carbs and honestly I ate some of the stuff because there wasn't any other choice (skipped the cake, jello, potatos) plus they messed up my daily meds.
The whole experience, while the staff was very nice, of course the illness sucked (still very tired out, hard to take my walks again) but the
food was so bad. It just shows there is ALOT for the medical community to learn about this.

Good news though, when I got home there were my test results from my physical, my cholesterol was still the same but my tryglicerides went from like 580 down to 230 in just 3 months on Atkins and walking!!!!
I'm going to be tested again in 6 months to see where I am at.
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone and if you should ever find yourself in the same situation try to be as pro-active as possible but beware it might not make a difference:-(

Nibby
Sponsored Links