#3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
they are low-fat, low in salt and cholesterol-free. What better food is there when managing your family's weight?

Let's see: Spianch, Lettuce, Kale, Broccoli...Need I say more.

Quote:
The campaign has won the support of nutritionists who have become increasingly concerned about the fashion for eating high fat, protein-only diets.

How can it be both high-fat and protein-only ??? That is about the dumbest shit I've hear so far.

Quote:
Our parents' generation thought carbohydrates were fattening and nutritionists had just got around to getting people to realise they are healthy when the Atkins diet fad appeared.

And our parents' generation was right. My great-grandmother lived into her 90s...cooking in lard and avoiding the carb-laden refined crap we eat nowadays. My Uncle died of heart disease/diabetes at 51, eating a diet high in carbs. On a side note...my grandmother mentioned some years back that when she was a kid that if you needed to gain weight you ate bananas and bread. I didn't think much about it at the time...But, I now believe she and her generation was on to something.

Quote:
"The problem with Atkins is that people want a quick-fix cure and do not want to believe they eat too much.

On a LF/HC diet, I had to cut my calories below 1000/day to lose weight. You need just shy of that amount just to live. On Atkins, I eat 1500-3000 kcal/day (average just over 2000), which is close to what they (AHA/USDA) suggest for weight maintnance. But, if I'd eaten that amount of calories on a LF/HC diet, I'd have gained weight.

Quote:
"In the short term, the diet works pretty well and people lose weight but the problem is that to keep the weight off you have to continue to eat very low levels of carbohydrates forever.[/b]

HELLO !!! That is the point. If you go back to your old way of eating, you will regain the weight. It does not matter what diet you are on. If you go back to eating lotsa fat and sugar after a LF diet, you will regain the weight also...and I speak from experience on that one.

Quote:
Not many people can do that."

BULLSHIT !!! It took me 6 months to lose my extra pounds 7 years ago on a LF/HC diet. I was so hungry all the time that after I reach my "ideal" weight, I went back to my old way of eating...and gained back all the weight I'd lost (22 pounds) plus an extra 130+ pounds. I've already been on Atkins a month longer than I was abel to stay on a LF Diet...and you know what ??? I'm not hungry.

Quote:
Endorsement by celebrities and the promise of losing weight while gorging on cream, cheese, butter and meat have made it a huge hit.

Gorging ??? Atkins clearly says to eat until SATISFIED. That is not gorging.

Quote:
But in a survey of nutritionists about 97 per cent said they would not recommend a patient to go on a protein-rich, low-carb diet in order to lose weight. Most would instead recommend low-fat diets.

Of course...They are taught in school that carbs are good and fat is bad. What would you expect them to do ??? What suprises me is that there are 3% who WOULD suggest Atkins.

Quote:
[b]Health experts point to the fact that potatoes in their natural state are fatfree and contain high levels of vitamin C, vitamin B1 and B6, as well as folic acid, potassium and fibre.

Vitamin C (per cup) --

Watermelon: 24%
Potatoes: 27%
Daikon: 40%
Cauliflower: 77%
Broccoli: 137%

Vitamin B1 --

Potatoes: 7%/cup
Whitefish: 14%/filet
Top Sirloin: 13%/8 oz.

Vitamin B6 --

Potatoes: 19%/cup
Whitefish: 30%/filet
Top Sirloin: 46%/8 oz.

Folic Acid (per cup) --

Potatoes: 3%
Cauliflower: 14%
Spinach: 15%
Broccoli: 16%

Potassium --

Potatoes: 494mg/cup
Whitefish: 628mg/filet
Top Sirloin: 836mg/8 oz.

Fiber (per cup) --

Potatoes: 8%
Cauliflower: 10%
Daikon: 10%
Broccoli: 11%

That is percentage of RDA. If you compared potatoes based on percentage of carbs from fiber...It would lose to ALL green veggies. Fiber accounts for 77% of the carbs in Spinach, 57% of the carbs in Broccoli, but only 7% of the carbs in Potatoes. Potatoes are not good sources of any of the listed Vitamins and Minerals. They only thing they are a good source of is STARCH and HEART BURN.