View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:35

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
We'll all have to move to Europe. Sure hope they hang strong on the issue and don't let any government strongarm them.

Too late. The EU government people (whatever you call the group that represents the whole) have agreed to let GMO food in from the US provided it is properly labeled. Our wise and learned government *cough, cough*, is fighting the labeling thing tooth and nail trying to make it so we don't have to label our "frankenfoods" because then they wouldn't sell over there and that wouldn't be fair. Well, DUH!!! Not sure when this is to take effect. I hope they get really mad before then and back out.

This saddens me so to see. In order to grow unadulterated food, we'll have to save the seed now, and start growing it in hothouses where there can be no x-pollination and have another airtight building that we can compost in (like a biosphere), or on the Moon or something. Hey, an organic space station might be nice. Of course then we'd lose bone mass living there. I just can't win this can I?

Quote:
Another option is to find a local butcher and ask him if his meats are free range and chemical-free. Basically organic, but fed conventional feed.

I've just got this funny picture in my head of our little small town butcher here. I go into his shop, and ask him this, and he just gives me this "you're one crazy little girl" grin, and says, "yep, sure it is." Laughing all the way. I live around a bunch of people who think the fact that I dislike pesticides and round-up and such is pretty doggone hilarious. It would be so nice if this weren't the case .

I'll check out that mail order catalogue too Lizzy, thanks!

Jinx - I'm inside the Pine Cone Curtain of deep east Texas. We have an HEB, but they don't know the word organic. At least not the last time I visited. We have a small health food store, but all they have is a couple of frozen steaks that are 10$ each. The turkey we get is veggie fed, but not nonGMO I'm sure. The closest Whole Foods is just over 3hrs away. We do visit there every few months, so I may check into stocking up next time. I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out a little more $$. I sure would feel better about it. I'd be a Schwarzbein vegetarian if I could stand tofu -- bleck! I do really like fish though, and chicken is pretty good. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. I need a place that will mail it to me frozen or something. Oh, that reminds me.....

Does anyone know if there is a mail order type place for line-caught salmon and the like? All I can get around here in stores is that farm-raised stuff. Way lower Omega 3.

Oh, and nitrate free bacon that isn't sugar cured. Anyone found that?