#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%
Default New Girl with (gasp!) Questions .. smile

Hi, Everyone.

My name is Carla and I am single, 35, and live alone with my three cats.

I stumbled upon this site three days ago while looking for some low-carb recipes. The next day I joined and began my journal(though if you aren't drinking caffeine I don't suggest going there-I'm rather long-winded and boring~lol).

I am just beginning my low-carb journey after being in denial about my insulin resistance and pcos for the past six months or so. I have the Insulin Resistance Diet book but I cannot have as many carbohydrates as the doctors who wrote it suggest without staying hungry and craving sweets and starches.

It will take me a couple of months of saving up to afford another book and I am trying to decide which of the "programs" that are mentioned on this site I am going to stick with but I've already started getting much lower in carbs. I've cut out all refined carbs except for Pepsi(but I've not had one today-yay).
Based on some of the journals and forums I've been reading through I have a few questions and hope y'all have some answers

1. I've read that we need to keep our calories up to at least 10X our weight. I have no idea how I could do this. Yesterday I had a little less than 1700 and by the time I eat dinner tonight I will have about 1900. My ratios for today after dinner will be around 64%f/5%c/31%p.

I have a lot of health and physical issues, one of which leaves me pretty sedentary. I do a little bit of exercising while sitting(i.e. heel raises for my calves and such) but I walk very little on the average day because of intense pain.

Sooo ... .my question is, do I really need to eat 3800 calories right now?

2. Does anyone have any ideas for exercises I can do while seated that would not aggravate my mid and low back?

3. Does anyone have any recipes that they cook regularly that are very easy to prepare and perhaps microwavable? It is very difficult for me to stand at the counter preparing a dish or at the stove stirring it often or at the sink washing lots of dishes.

4. Does anyone have any suggestions about which plan might be best for me at this weight if I can handle only a few carbs without cravings and have insulin resistance?

5. Does anyone have any suggestions at all to make this way of life more affordable? (I live only on my disability, though hoping that will change once I get some of this weight off-hoping my back pain will ease then)In other words .. smile .. say you were just beginning this program, you are very overweight, rather poor(about 100 dollars a month to spend on food), and not very ambulatory .. what would you have wanted to know in the beginning that would have helped you get the best possible start please?

Thanks so much for this forum. I have learned so much just over the last three days and am feeling very motivated by what I've read and the interaction in the journals that I've seen.

This has been a real blessing from God to me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Carla/odyssey
Sponsored Links