#2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:05
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cicely:

I do use organic meats and find that they taste better than conventional. It was the only way I could come to terms with eating meat after being a vegetarian for 17 years as well as deal with my chemical sensitivities (no hormones or antibiotics). Conventional practices are too inhumane for me. It's those practices which make the marketing of meat so much cheaper.

One way I reduce the cost is by directly locating an organic farm that sells and delivers in bulk. This way I avoid the middleman costs and they also sell it cheaper in bulk. Of course, this requires a freezer.

Yes, right now animals raised without hormones or steroids can't be labelled organic if they are fed conventional feed. I'm not sure how I feel about this new legislation b/c I don't want to see the "organic" industry corrupted by conventional practice and I also don't want to ingest GMO foods via my meat intake. I guess I don't have to worry b/c I'm in Canada but we seem to follow the US lead in these matters.

Another option is to find a local butcher and ask him if his meats are free range and chemical-free. Basically organic, but fed conventional feed. If you have to choose, choose organic beef over anything else.

Wanda