#12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 22:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/320/250 Male 78
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6h6o3
Ever since I was diagnosed, I've wrestled with the question: "Just what is diabetes?" The only thing I can see common to both Types and all people who have it is: some impairment of the ability to produce insulin.

I struggle with this too. I think the medical community tries to sweep many conditions up under the same umbrella and label it as diabetes.

I know my body produces enough insulin. So I suppose I've reversed the insulin resistance by losing all the weight. I was diagnosed as a diabetic by the usual clinical standards.

I think every individual should be thoroughly assessed before physicians just slap the "diabetic" label on them. Most people with insulin resistance can improve their condition just by losing the weight. And I also think that even if your fasting BG is over 126mg/dl then you can still become normal again if your pancreas still has healthy function. Some people cannot, but I think the majority of people can. Unfortunately (like I said before) most people are diagnosed too late to really turn things around (but they can still achieve normal BG as long as they LC). A year earlier my lab tests showed elevated BG levels but the physician never said a word. I think anything that's 110mg/dl or higher should be a red flag, or at least something worth looking into. Too often physicians downplay elevated readings. Either that or they sugar coat it so it doesn't sound urgent.

I receive information from my health insurer all the time about how to "manage" my diabetes. As usual, it preaches the low fat dogma that got me into this situation in the first place. Like many others, I also thought that rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. was healthy for me. Now that I've cut them out of my eating plan, I don't really miss them. I'll probably eat them on special occasions, but then I'm ready to go back to LC. I can't tell you how happy I am now that I'm doing LC. My insulin resistance is practically gone, my skin looks better and my whole attitude in general has improved. Now that I am losing the weight, my self confidence has skyrocketed. I still have more weight to lose, but it feels great when everyone at work calls me "slim." I work with the best people and we even have a small LC "support group."

Wayne