#21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
. I still don't even entirely trust that Splenda is safe yet. It's only considered safe now because it hasn't proven to be unsafe yet. It's a fairly new product.

From DANDR page 128 Acceptable foods list

Quote:
Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after viewing more then one hundred studies conducted over the past twenty years

To me 20 years makes for a product that isn't to recent. Refined sugar on the other hand has been proven to be harmful and has no nutricional value. I prefer my kids to get thier sweet tooth satisfied from fruits, but I don't want to make any foods forbiden and more tempting. I'd rather teach them that there are foods to eat often, and foods to save as special treats. Most of the kids I know who have grown up in strict homes on certain foods tend to over endulge in them once they get money of thier own, or move out. I'd rather my kids know that they can have occasional snacks so there is no need to over endulge when some become available. I grew up in a somewhat poor family. Any sweet treats such as pies were rare. If you didn't eat alot of it right away, the rest of the family would polish it off and you wouldn't get any. I learned to eat alot of it fast, because there wasn't going to be any more.

I don't put my kids on any kind of diet, or strict regiment. They have fruit readily available, juice, milk, whole grains, and other healthy foods. I don't see it as wrong to limit thier exposure to refined sugars and flours now before they have problems with carbohydrates and insulin when they are older. Waiting to teach children healthy eating habits until they are over weight does no good and makes for a depressing childhood.