View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/320/250 Male 78
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking Has anyone reversed their diabetes?

Hello everyone!

I've been following these forums for quite awhile, and the advice and support is phenominal. I have been following Atkins for about two months and lost about 50lbs. I never cheated during those first months, but I did have LC desserts. On occasion, I probably had an extra goodie or two than I should have (low carb, of course), but I never left ketosis.

This past holiday weekend, I decided to treat myself to some good southern cooking. The barbeque sauce definitely had sugar, and my mother's cole slaw contains sweet pickle. I also had two brownies and a piece of cake (which had icing that was basically nothing but sugar).

I checked my BG at various intervals after my meal. I never saw them go over 130. Previously, it was typical for them to go from 160-200 after meals. Just to make sure this wasn't a one time thing, I ate several meals with lots of carbohydrate and my BG has never been better. I also didn't feel down in the dumps after eating the sweets (that's what shocked me). Previously when I was on the "typical" diabetic diet, my BG would still be over 140 many hours after I had a meal. Now, it's back to normal usually in under an hour or two. Wow!

I started back on my LC lifestyle/habits today. Simply put, it is my preferred way to eat. For me, it is actually less expensive than the typical American diet. I never get bored with LC foods. It is just nice to know that my weight loss has reversed the diabetes. I'm sure part of it has to be because I'm young (20), and because I am getting the weight off. I also caught the diabetes earlier than most.

Hopefully this may be a little inspiration to anyone out there that's struggling with their health. I feel better now than when I was 10!

Wayne
Sponsored Links