View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 07:06

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

Check out my record (below). After my first 2 weeks, 3 weeks with 0 loss. *However*, due to a suggestion from this forum, I began measuring myself weekly with a tape measure in about 9 places. In spite of NOT losing weight I WAS losing inches. I was very concerned about not losing though.

If I may be a little personal, and I say this only because I think I recognize a similar personality, you may be suffering from a little perfectionism. I think the conventional wisdom with lowcarbing is, relax and let it happen at its own pace.

From my experience, I have learned that my body is DEFINATELY changing even when the scale is not moving. So this diet affects more than bodyfat and scale weight. My hypothesis is that the enormous amount of protein I am consuming (relative to my previous WOE) has put my body into some kind of massive rebuilding mode. I can tell you that I have been packing on muscle faster than any other time in my life (so poo-poo to those who blame slow metabolism on age!).

During my three weeks of no losses, I had to come to terms with my impatience. I decided at that time to give this WOE a full year. This makes sense to me because 1) I'm not gaining any weight, even though I'm eating as much as I want, and 2) the other benefits like energy, sense of well-being, etc. The cool thing about my decision is that I have started thinking more long-term, like what I'll wear to Thanksgiving dinner, rather than pinning my hopes on next week's scale weight.

Other posters have given you good advice: cut out 'frankenfoods', look out for hidden carbs, get ENOUGH carbs (lower than 20 is not better). I would add: try learning 3 new lowcarb recipes each week. This seems to make the weeks go by faster and also keeps it interesting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.