#12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 188/158/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Here's my story:
I was diagnosed when I was 19 (now 21). I knew something was wrong with me since I never got periods, but I didn't go to the doctor until I started gaining weight. My doctor put me on the pill and gave me a pamphlet about PCOS from like 1974. Since that was no help, I researched PCOS on the net and discovered low carb diets, so I tried the Atkins. This just made things worse... I started getting deprived which lead to binges which eventually lead to an eating disorder. In recovery I ended up gaining 36lbs. and my PCOS symptoms were worse than ever. I visited my gyno who just said to stay on the pill and I saw psychiatrist who told me my moodiness was depression and put me on antidepressants. I was a mess by then and gave up on traditional doctors.

So in February I went to see a naturopath, got a hormone test done (http://www.salivatest.com/) and found out my progesterone levels were almost unmeasureable (estrogen was also low). My naturopath explained that PCOS is basically just a disorder that causes low progesterone (low progesterone leads to Loss of libido, Obesity, Depression, Low thyroid, Facial hair, Water retention etc.) so he put me on natural progesterone cream. Wow I couldn't believe the difference! I thought I was just a moody person but it turned out it was just because my hormones were a mess. I started losing weight too! So I've been on the cream for a few months now, and I'm 100% med free!

This is my diet/exercise plan I follow: approx. 5 times a week I exercise, treadmill for about 36min or an hour of walking. I'm not on a specific diet but I do watch my carbs. No refined stuff, no sugar, only a serving or two of fruit a day, unlimited veggies (sans potatoes) etc. If I have carbs it's healthy carbs with fibre and I always have protein at the same time. I don't count carbs, but it's basically around 40% of my diet. I've lost 21lbs. so far and have 15 to go!

So that's my story. I hope it inspires people. If your doctor can't help you, persist and find another! It tooks me 2 years to find a doctor (my naturopath) who actually knows something about PCOS.