View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:01

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

DaveNed,

My family has a history of high cholesterol. When I was in my mid 20's my cholesterol was towards the upper end of the normal range. Three years ago I had it tested at a routine checkup (it hadn't been tested for almost 20 years at that point). I had been eating low fat-high carb at that time, and went on an almost no-fat regimen for three days prior to testing (per dr's orders). It was elevated (226) but the doctor never said anything or recommended any dietary change.

Last summer, with a new doctor, I had my cholesterol tested again. I had been on the Atkins WOE for two months prior to the test, and had lost 15 lbs. It was only raised by 5 mg, to 231.

But now for THE REST OF THE STORY.....

Component / Mar-00 / Aug-02 / Normal range
Total Cholesterol / 226 / 231 / < 200
HDL (the good stuff) / 57 / 75 / > 34
LDL (the bad stuff) / 144 / 145 / 0-130
CHOL/HDL Ratio / 3.96 / 3.08 / < 4.45
Triglycerides / 127 / 54 / < 200

So you see here that low fat did nothing to lower my cholesterol or my LDL (low density cholesterol), but a high fat/low carb regimen has increased my "good" cholesterol and improved my cholesterol/HDL ratio, and greatly lowered my triglycerides.

I go back again next month, and will be curious to see what has happened to my blood levels. I hope that my LDL or my total cholesterol numbers go down, but this new doctor says that as long as I work out and get plenty of exercise that the numbers are nothing to worry about, especially since the triglycerides are so low.

So while eating high fat seems to be counterintuitive, especially when one has an elevated cholesterol, it at worst will keep the blood levels the same, while improving the good cholesterol and lowering triglycerides.

And as far as missing the bread.... well, I'm of Italian descent, and bread and pasta have always played a major part in my diet. Giving up those was tough at first, but now I don't miss them much. I am careful not to keep any in the house so I don't break down and binge during weak moments, though (I live alone except when my teenage sons spend their week here). Also, the Atkins bread, while not a good loaf of Italian bread, makes a good substitute when I absolutely must have a tuna salad sandwich or toast.

Good luck!

Joan