Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 143/134/117 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
on the way there it was alot of coasting with a bit of cycling.. there is a huge hill that i only got 1/2 way up (very difficult to walk up let alone ride)..
is it normal for a beginner to feel like when she gets done? and will this go away? (I do feel better after sitting down for 10 minutes and drinking water.. is it simply that i need to carry water with me?)
thanks in advance for all of your help.. heres to better health and not getting winded on a bike ride !

Hi Peabod, excuse my editing your post.

I have found that when I exerise after abit of break from LC eating that I will feel quite ill initially. In fact, the first time I LC'ed about 3 years ago I actually vomited after some mild exercise. Afew days later I went for a long hike (6 hours) and had the worst diarrhoea I've ever had.

After a panicked call to my natropath, I worked out that this is actually a sign of your old fat cells being rapidly released for energy. This is roughly how it was explained to me:

The fat cells are used as a kind of toxic storage facility by your body, so when the fat cells are released into your system for energy, so are the toxins. The toxins make you feel sick, and your body will often react by expelling it ASAP (in extreme cases via vomiting or diarrhoea).

Drinking water will definately help your nausea, as this will flush the toxins out. After afew exercise sessions, everything calms down and you no longer feel sick, and you're now toxin free!

On your point about getting winded, I also sometimes find that when I'm really in ketosis and my body is using fat for energy, my muscles become quite abit weaker than normal, and things that I can normally breeze through I really struggle with. I guess this is because the fat is not as accessible to my muscles as the carbs I used to eat.

I ride bikes every weekend too (love it!), and my husband can always tell when I'm in ketosis, because I just run out of puff and go much slower than normal. I actually don't mind this feeling - how encouraging to know that every pedal means a smaller bum!

Noni C

PS Husband & I have matching gold bikes!