View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Re: "Sizing up the popular diet plans" (Atkins was the worst)

Quote:
Originally posted by gotbeer
But dietitians said Atkins doesn't provide a balanced diet and is difficult to maintain.

It is not hard to maintain. I've been on it for almost 7 months now...and feel like I can maintain it for life. By comparison, the LF Diet I was on in 1996/1997 left me so hungry that once I reached my goal (6 months)...I went back to eating normal and gained all the weight I'd lost back plus an extra 130 pounds.

Quote:
"I have not seen one long-term success story with Atkins in 25 years of experience," one dietitian wrote. "Many report short-term successes, but, when you look at their weight one year, two years or five years later, most often they have kept off none or regained more than the initial weight."

Dr. Atkins -- Went on a Low-carb diet in 1963...kept the weight off for 40 years.

Jennifer Anniston (?) -- Went on a Low-carb diet years ago...and is still keeping the weight off.

There are many others out there also.

Quote:
Other dietitians offered scathing comments on Atkins: "Any diet that restricts fruits, vegetables and whole grains is dangerous because these foods protect against many diseases ... goes against all of our current dietary recommendations ... throws years of solid research out the window ... terrible!"

Restricts vegetables ??? That's odd...I must be doing it wrong, seeing as I eat 2-3x the current USDA recomendations for vegetables. Restricts Fruit...That varies. I eat fruit...just not as much as they suggest. Once I reach maintnance...I'll probably be able to eat the minimum 2 servings they suggest.

Whole grains = good for you ??? I beg to differ. They need to read "The Naive Vegetarian" (anyone have a link ???) It covers the issue pretty well. Grains contain anti-nutrients and other substances which block the absorption of nutrients. Not only is grain not good for you...it is actually deleterious to your health.

I also find it ridiculous that they bash Atkins for being unmaintainable and not providing enough variety...while they rate SLIM FAST higher than Atkins. Which has more variety:

1) A diet that replaces two of your three meals a day with thickened sugar water er Shakes...and suggests you replace the 3rd with a sugary candy bar, or

2) A diet that tells you to eat plenty of green vegetables, allows you hundreds of different meats, vegetables, nuts*, seeds*, berries*, fruits*, etc...

*OWL and later.

Let's discuss "unmaintainable." Perhaps, they forgot that the majority of those on weight watchers (their diet of choice) gained the weight back.