Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 03:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
I am considering using the gum to quit.. does it really work that well? I mean if I really really need a cigarette, will the gum ease that craving right then, or does it take 10 minutes for the nicotine to kick in? Also, is there a provided plan with the gum, or am I just supposed to chew it whenever I feel like smoking?

The gum did work very well for me. You don't get a rush of nicotine with it though - it takes about 20 minutes for it to work. The best way to use it is to take a piece every hour or so, or as directed - that keeps your nicotine levels more constant, and you don't get the dip that will trigger a craving. However ........ I did find that being able to chew a piece of gum, rather than smoke, was helpful - just the physical act of putting something in my mouth and chewing and knowing that I was going to feel better soon.

There are quite a few different nicotine replacement products around. I think it's important to find one that suits you, and to use it properly. A lot of people seem to come unstuck because they feel OK when using the product so they don't use it consistently or stop too early.

I also joined a stop smoking group - I found that very useful.

It's not easy stopping, but it's worth it. I wish you the best of luck!