View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 12:28

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

"Can someone explain why an insulin triggering food in a small amount can throw off the whole day (I'm not being a smart ~ss here, honest!)"

Cad depends on the intricate balance of hormones in the body. Anything that causes insulin to release (Carbs, As etc) starts a cycle that can last through the day. Causing the insulin to be released, creates an insulin spike. As Carb adedicts we have a problem with the frequent release of insulin, our bodies become insulin resistant, which makes it hard for our cells to change food into energy. If this doesn't happen you don't lose weight. In additiion the body sends out another hormone in response to the insulin that causes the linsulin levels to drop. When insulin levels drop your body feels hungry generally, but for carbs in particular.

Cad tries to prevent this cycling from happening for most of the day. It makes our bodies burn food more efficiently, while maintaining fairly steady insulin levels through the day-making you feel less hungry and reducing carb cravings. So that is it in a nutshell.

Keep the CM's simple-protein and a vegie. I avoid cheese and dairy at CM's, I also avoid AS including diet soda. You may react differently to these, but as soon as I start with the "recipes" (multi-ingredient food)-I stall. And speaking as the pork rind queen-beware them-they are high in salt and can stall you!!!