View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: mostly Atkins
Stats: 152/132/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yes, because you get the worst reactions sometimes from yeast die off. The populations die off because of starvation (no sugars to eat) and then their dead parts can trigger an immune response in people with antibodies. I have both IgG & IgA antibodies to yeast cytoplasmic proteins (only accessible to my immune system when the yeast cells die and break up) and if the load is high enough I also get an IgE (histamine) response as well. During Atkins induction I was itchy. Prior to Atkins I had done a candida diet for a couple of months after having a horrible hives reaction to a bloom and die off yeast episode. The candida diet lessened the yeast populations but it wasn't till I did low carb that the population die off really brought levels down to where I don't have symptoms anymore.

You could also be experiencing carb withdrawls as well. Induction also can make you feel bad for awhile until the enzymes that help with ketogenic metabolism kick in. Some people quit after the first week because they feel weak, have flu-like symptoms, headaches and some even get hives and rashes. It is hard to tease out which symptoms are due to which changes but if you hang in there it does get better and generally people feel better than the ever did before on a high carb diet.