View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 05:31

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 164/135/125
BF:
Progress:
Default What to Calculate?

Having just discovered the benefits and great taste of flax seed I was happy to receive the following info from the Flax Council of Canada. We were thrilled because it meant the muffins that we enjoyed so much did not have as many carbs as I originally calculated.
Since we are following Atkins diet does that mean we have to count all carbs?
I was also wondering about the flying angel. Being a dental hygienist I thought maybe it was the tooth fairy. Hope she works. Having 10 lbs to go I have been in a major stall of about 3 months

Dear Sharon,
Your question about flaxseed was referred to me by the Flax Council of Canada. I am a registered dietitian who writes articles for the Council.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the great taste of flax! To answer your question, flaxseed contains very little available carbohydrate. Most of the carbohydrate in flax is in the form of dietary fibre. For example, on a 100 g basis, flaxseed provides 29 grams of total carbohydrate, of which 28 grams are total dietary fibre. Thus, only about 3% of the total carbohydrate in flaxseed is "available" carbohydrate (e.g., simple sugars like glucose and starch). This is a very small amount and will not contribute appreciably to your carbohydrate intake.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Best wishes,
Diane