#9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:04

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%
Default PCOS

Hi.

I have been trying to get a diagnosis for SOMETHING for years. All the outward signs of PCOS are there and have been for years: big belly, bad acne, hirsuitism, yadda yadda yadda. But test after test, and GYN after GYN sent me away without any explanation. I finally did some research and found a good reproductive endocrinologist. He says that although all the tests come back normal, he can see from my past tests that there is some indication of a history of oddness, if not PCOS.

The good news is that through diet and exercise, I was able to get pregnant, not once but TWICE. Pregnancy was not easy for me, and I suspect this was because of the affects that PCOS had on my body. Having said that, it was worth it. As grumpy as I tend to be, I love having kids. If you are wondering, I was never on the pill for very long.

After this doctor gave his initial diagnosis, I went back to the internet as I had 7 years ago and did some research. This led me to low carb diets, and I went and bought the three most popular reads on the subject. And I read them. Some of them are a bit evangelistic for my taste, but I cobbled together a plan I could live with.

A little less than 2 months later, I went back to see the endocrinologist (appointments with this guy are hard to get). I had lost 17lbs. All I knew was that every pair of pants I owned buttoned. My gut was getting smaller. My skin is clearing up (though after 17 months of harsh acutane treatment, several years ago, this was no longer a huge concern). I am now taking Glucophage; I start the 1500mg dosage tomorrow morning.

I am also happy to have an answer. It gives me an enemy. Better still, it's started a chain reaction. Turns out my mother has it (or had it? -- she is sans uterus now); same for my grandmother. With the changes in diet, exercise and outlook, we may all live longer. Also, several of my friends are encouraged by my success and are starting Atkins.

The last 2+ months have been a huge ordeal. Can't eat this, can't eat that. Still cooking for my family, but not being able to eat with them. Once, I even gave my daughter some bad milk, because I wasn't drinking it anymore and I hadn't tasted it first. Learned the lesson after being puked on repeatedly: smell the milk before you pour!

I am not having any more children, but I do want to live to see my grandchildren. Maybe even some great grandchildren. Plus I have a closet full of clothes that I bought while living in Europe that I'd love to fit back into.

Erin