Old Fri, Dec-15-00, 14:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile re: constipation

Hi, and welcome!

Not a bad topic at all. Senna and cascara are two herbs commonly used for occasional constipation. They are laxative, that is, they work by stimulating the gut into action. You need to have some bulk in the gut first though, otherwise you just end up with gas and cramps, and you know the old saying, "Here I sit all broken hearted...."

The early Induction or Phase I of lowcarb regimens is uunfortunately low in fiber, which is what adds bulk to the gut. In fact, a lot of folks go the other way, and experience some diarrhea for the first week. The solution to both problems is to add some lowcarb, bulky fiber. For most people, a sugar-free psyllium product is easiest. I'm not an expert here, since I'm personally allergic, but I'm sure Metamucil and others come in sugar-free versions. You can also buy plain psyllium husks in a bag at most health food stores. Make sure you drink plenty of water with it. I use ground flax seeds myself, and add a couple Tbsp to a high-protein, lowcarb shake. Flax has the added benefit of being high in Omega3 fats, good for the heart and cholesterol.

good luck,
Doreen