View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 22:47

Plan: ?
Stats: 380/217/175
BF:
Progress:
Default type II in children...

I appreciated the info. My 4 year old is obese, always has been, it runs in my family, he is over half native american, he does have the darkness on his neck,(but I NEVER thought anything about that until I read this posting), and type I and type II diabetes run in my family. He was 10lb,9oz at birth, jaundiced for about a month (I was not diabetic.) and was off and on steroids his first year for asthma, which he still presently has. He has always drank a large amount, still wets the bed, but does not seem to urinate excessively during the day. I'm posting because I have taken my son on numerous occasions to the doctor's, concerned about his weight, but no doctor has ever given me this information, much less cared enough to really ask specifics. I was getting more frustrated and more frustrated, not getting any answers until recently, finally, a doctor says, hey, lets take blood (duh) and while his overall blood work came out ok, and normal thyroid, he has 2 different elevated liver enzymes, and creatinine was too low. He has another appointment in 2 weeks, with more blood test, and I was freaking out, thinking my baby has a liver disease (which I guess he still could, a thing called NASH) but a doctor wrote me and said I was more likely looking at insulin resistance, where the body stores the fat or carbs we eat and does nothing with it. Sometimes it can turn to bacteria in our intestines, thus causing elevated enzymes, etc. Soooo, while I always watched what he ate, did not keep fatty foods in the house, put a padlock on the fridge to keep him out (the doctor said that if it is insulin resistance it will make him feel hungry alot)...I never particularly counted fats, carbs, etc. Just did the no sweets regularly thing, no frying, watch the calories. (By the way, he is extremely, extremely active. He is more active than my active, thin 8 year old son. )I'm on this site to learn about the different types of low carb/low fat diets out there. I have high hopes of getting the weight off of him finally, now that I know (think I know) what I am dealing with. I also hope this will lower his liver enzymes. Any advice would be appreciated and any similiar stories I would LOVE to hear...I feel kinda isolated with this. People always look at me like, what are you doing to your son..makes you paranoid....I know what they are thinking, because I always thought that too when I saw parents with overweight children--until I had my son. Now I know that it may not have been my parent's fault entirely that I grew up big, and that some kids really aren't being allowed to eat all they want, just because they are big. I wish I could just make the rest of the world believe that.