#13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac???
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Wellbutrin and etc.

In addition to being an overweight woman with ongoing dysthymia (chronic, low-grade tendency to depression), I am a mental health professional, and from working with clients in addition to my own experience, I can tell you that the combination of Wellbutrin and Prozac is not at all unusual. So many people are using these new antidepressants long-term (a questionable practice, by the way), that it is becoming apparent that after awhile, some of them stop working well. The practice is to either increase the dosage or combine two, and this is what you're doing. I have been on these meds since my hysterectomy some 10 years ago, and I am one of the people who has had to look at the effects of long-term use, although I can say nothing major has happened, except that they haven't proven to be the huge help they were supposed to be. Because my insurance stopped when we relocated recently, I have stopped taking most of my meds, and I can't say it has made a huge difference, which certainly makes me think. I am more and more inclined to feel that long-term change in diet and exercise and thinking seems to be a better solution, because although these newer meds are certainly better and safer, they still don't solve the underlying problem, except in those few individuals who truly have a short-term chemical imbalance that can be corrected easily. For the chronic types, I wonder....... anyway, a doctor I worked with told me recently that the medical establishment really doesn't know exactly how Wellbutrin works--or IF it works, which may interest you. I felt that it helped. Prozac seems to have a proven track record, but a lot of people have sexual problems with it, so it's a trade-off. On the other hand, you may be one of the people for whom the combination is just the right solution, so good luck.